In her essay “Only Daughter”,
from Latina Women’s Voices from borderlands author Saundra Cisneros states, “I
am the only daughter in a family of six sons. That explains everything.” The
main idea of this quote is that she feels out of place being the only girl out
of her six brothers. Also, that no matter your ranking in your family, your
family still loves you no matter what.
Something
the author said that is worth thinking about is when Sandra Cisneros claims, “I
wanted my father to understand what it was I was scribbling, to introduce me as
“My only daughter, the writer.” Not as “This is only my daughter. She teaches.”
Es mastera-teacher. Not even profesora.” This quote is important in this essay because
it shows she wants her father to show more attention and care towards her. Since
she is the only girl of seven boys in a Mexican family her father expects her
to be married. But since she is going to college he shows disappointment towards
her.
This
does not completely relate to me besides me being the only child. I do know how
it feels not feeling appreciated by your parent. This idea to me is quite misconceived,
although she doesn’t feel loved at the end of the day I believe her father
still loved her. Even though she was the only girl in a family of six brothers
and her being the only girl she proved her father wrong. She went to college
when he expected her to get married. I feel that she should do whatever she
wants as a woman. The idea im sure relates to a lot of Mexican woman in this
world. In the end of this essay she tells us how her father liked her story. This
brings me to what I think, which would be at the end of the day your parents
will love you no matter what. I hope after reading this you can consider being
in her position, and being as strong as she was.
No comments:
Post a Comment